There is a special way to place an order for items on this page.
If the item shown does not have an "add to cart" button present.
Please click on the contact me link and request an invoice or price quote.
Custom Personalized Signs !
Please remember, my custom personalized signs are:
- Not made of plywood unless requested!
- Approximately 2"- 3" high letters, compared to smaller versions. Larger or smaller letters upon request
- Solid pine/cedar backer board, compared to no backer board depending upon style of sign.
- Finished with several coats of clear sealer to protect the wood.
- Western Red Cedar is not clear coated, unless specified for indoor use.
- Yes you can order a sign without a backerboard. They are called Shelf Sitters.
The image below is a "Shelf Sitter".
This particular example has the following add on's:
- Custom painting.
- Oak Base.
Please note that the custom finish, base and painting are add ons.
A standard shelf sitter without any base may also be ordered.
These are typically 3/4" thick, approximately 2-3 inches tall made from pine or cedar and sit on a shelf or desk top.
My fees for custom creating a WOOD sign or Individual letters follows:
For All Signs!
- For 3-4" tall letters there is a $5.00 fee per space. Larger letters, price is slightly higher.
- For truly custom signs there may be a design fee at my discretion, starting at $10.00.
- Shipping and Handling.
- There may be an additional charge for any sign chosen, depending upon wood species selected. We will discuss types of woods available by e-mail.
- Delivery confirmation and insurance are included at no charge!
- How much will it cost to ship my sign?
- That is a tough question to answer as all signs are different.
Typically your sign should ship for under $12.00-$15.00 within the U.S.
Scroll Sawn Signs with Negative letters.
- If you want the letters cut out of the wood so it creates a negative space
- Click here for an example
Custom Signs with Letters attached to a backer board.
- If you want the letters cut out of a seperate piece of wood and then attached to a backer board. There will be an additional charge depending upon over all size of the sign for a backer board.
- Click here for an example
- $5.00 per space/letter/character, up to 12 letters/characters.
- Custom bases starting at $5.00 depending upon wood selected.
- Shelf sitters will have connected letters and will stand on their own without a base if that is your preference.
- Click here for an example
- If you prefer individual letters not attached.
- Add $3.00 per letter/character depending upon wood selected and size of letters/characters.
- Add $15.00 for routing the letters into wood instead of scrolling the letters.
- Please note: I do not do freehand routing so I am limited to 2" letters!
- Add a Minimum of $20.00 to paint any sign. This charge may be higher!
- Add $5.00 for burning letters and/or backerboard Not wood burning.
- Add $4.00 for using Western Red Cedar.
- Add $10.00 for additional silhouettes added to your sign such as playing cards, pets or other silhouettes.
- Over sized signs ask for quote.
"How do I order my Custom Sign?"
Please click on the contact link and request an invoice.
I have tried to think of a way to create a shopping cart button that will incorporate all the options but alas have not been able to do so yet. So please ask for an Invoice, thank you for your understanding.
Please be careful when you order that the spelling is correct.
I am not responsible for misspelled words.
When ordering larger, more unique signs, please contact me for a price quote.
I have had several customers remit payment for signs that were much more involved than a basic sign.
To avoid misunderstandings, and to expedite your custom order, please send me an e-mail and request a price quote
. . . prior to sending any form of payment!
Thank you for your understandng.
Thank you for your interest in my custom signs.
- These signs vary in dimension due to the length of names used.
- All dimensions are approximate.
- Cut from 3/4"Pine or 1/2" Western Red Cedar (some portions may be cut from Baltic Birch).
- Glued to a "milled" backer board (using a weather resistant glue)!
- What is milled? I joint the edges for squareness, surface plane for thickness, perform a preliminary sanding then give the edge a decorative routed finish.
- I finish sand, and then buff with #0000 steel wool, prior to and in between several clear coats of finish to seal and preserve the wood. Except on Western red Cedar: I do not clear coat cedar unless it is designated for indoor use.
- Perfect gift idea for that special someone who has everything.
Your new custom sign is created from the best woods available, Pine, Western Red Cedar, or multi ply (such as Baltic Birch). They can last a long time outside under a porch overhang, garage, or breezeway with no protective coating.
HOWEVER, if you intend to hang your sign in the elements it must be coated with a top quality protective exterior finish if you expect it to last.
In the elements means: directly in rain, wind and southern exposure to the sun.
Minwax Company, inc. has recommended their HELMSMAN SPAR URETHANE as their choice for this application it is available at most hardware and building supply stores in a semi-gloss (satin) finish for the natural look and a gloss finish for the shiny, plastic look. The satin works best as it preserves the rustic charm of the sign. Apply a minimum of three light coats, more if you like, to front and back. We stress light coats as a heavy flooding coat could loosen the glue. It will also help to allow extra drying time between coats. Avoid using products such as Thompson's Water Seal. These products are thin and have a watery consistency and may deteriorate the glue we use.
Occasionally, with exposure and time, a letter or piece may fall off. If this should happen, simply glue it back on with an epoxy type glue. If you are going to refinish the sign and reseal it, any white glue (Aileenes Tacky Glue, carpenters glue (Titebond ll or lll)) or hot glue will do.
Any finish on wood outdoor will weather in time. The finest marine varnish on yachts must be redone usually in a year or less. If you put your sign in the weather be prepared for periodic maintenance. Occasionally touch it up or recoat the whole sign. How often it needs attention will depend on the exposure.
When mounting the sign to an outside wall, shim it out from the wall about 1/4 inch This will allow air circulation behind the sign and allow it to last longer. Secure the sign with good quality screws, brass, or stainless steel or you could nail it up with galvanized nails. If you nail it up be sure and pre-drill the board so as not to split the wood.
I hope that your sign will be handed down for generations and bring you much joy.